Friday, May 20, 2011

Another Trip to the Opera and More Morris Dancers

I travelled to London to see poet Michael Symmons Roberts and composer James MacMillan’s new chamber opera Clemency, a work that I am still mulling over.   The opera sets the Biblical story sometimes referred to as “The Hospitality of Abraham.”  Three mysterious strangers visit Abraham and Sarah;  Sarah laughs when they prophesy that she will bear a child.  

On the way to the theatre I had a laugh of my own.   I approached a traditional-looking British pub that had a sign reading “No Football Zone” over the door.  (It’s the playoff season here.)  And lo and behold – Morris Dancers! 

They told me that had been dancing all day and were having some pints to ease their sore feet.  They agreed to pose for a photo



but insisted I do so as well.


[If you want to read more about the opera, see the next post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment