Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Laurel in England


One week to go until my England adventure!   I’ve had a number of British experiences already, such as learning to say “zed” instead of “zee” when I spell my name.  When I “rang up” the box office of the Royal Opera House to buy a ticket for Rimsky-Korsakov’s The Tsar’s Bride (not one of opera’s top ten hits!), the attendant said, “Brilliant choice, Madam! Brilliant choice.”  (Can you imagine a U.S. box office worker saying that?) It turned out she had seen the dress rehearsal the night before and thought the production was “marvelous.”

I have a lot to look forward to: seeing Wagner’s Die Meistersinger at the Glyndebourne Festival, a concert featuring Trevor Pinnock, a friend’s wedding in Germany, reconnecting with Quakers (my flat is three blocks from the meetinghouse!), exploring Brighton, and more.   I hope to get a lot of writing and good thinking done while I am in Sussex.

No comments:

Post a Comment